December 7, 2010

Periods. And the periodic table.

I need to set long term thinking aside for a while to deal with short term issues. At least I hope they are short term issues. The problem is I’ve been absolutely difficult lately, in emotional flux, riding some nasty mood altering roller coaster. I totally blame this on hormones, or lack of, or imbalance – whatever, but I need to get a handle on this. And this is not at all helped by my husband’s belief that women have a propensity to hit menopause and go crazy, ending long term relationships for some undefined better place. His opinion is based, of course, on well informed and insightful observations of more than a few breakups.


The stupid thing is that I have none of the “normal” signs of menopause. I’m 53 (there, I’ve said it), I had one hot flash about 4 years ago and I can still rely on the calendar. What I’m mostly dealing with is insomnia and anxiety. My new best friends are 2am, 3am, 4am and 5am. They greet me every night, twinkling at me from the clock. All I can do is pull the covers over my head and hope they will go away. I’ve resisted the urge to get out of bed and watch TV, bother Dan, shop on-line, or worse yet, post stupid insomniac status updates on Facebook.


Compounded by poor nightly sleep is an increased level of anxiety that I can’t seem to get control of.  Not that I haven’t tried. I started with my primary care physician.  From her I got the second best medical advice ever...”your symptoms will eventually go away”.  This $250 proclamation is only slightly less helpful than the advice I got from a previous primary care doc about a different issue. When I reported stabbing right shoulder pain while moving laundry from the washer to the dryer, he said…”use your left arm”. Really Sherlock, that’s the best you can do? 

Feeling far superior to the lame advice of over-educated medical practitioners, I began chatting with friends about symptoms and possible remedies.  After all, who knows better than peers who are in the battle, have survived it, or have thrown in the towel and now live alone? A friend described a peaceful office and a skilled practitioner, who combined listening to both the person and the body to define a balanced treatment plan. This led me to a chiropractor/nutritionist who specializes in health, energy, balance and natural remedies. Perfect. I’ll take it.


The doctor listened intently, completed an extensive physical examination using kinesiology, and read the entrails of a sheep to determine that I’m allergic to potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, and salt. She found my CVS multi-vitamins were causing more harm than good and the calcium supplements were hard for my body to digest.  A saliva test found levels of some adrenal something or other were off balance and contributing to my sleep issues. Three visits, and a $120 checkbook adjustment for the purchase of various cleansers and vitamins, found me at home with “the remedy.” Of course I’d have to go back for more adjustments, but my health insurance was covering the visits so this must be OK, right?


I had to stop with the supplements after three days because I got a nasty stomach bug. Everything I ate completed the incredible journey, very quickly and painfully.  Thankfully, that subsided within 24-hours and I added in the supplements to my nightly routine. Three days later I woke up needing to call in sick to work because I couldn’t be more than 3 feet and 2 seconds away from the bathroom. Stop everything again, except this time I had figured it out. Something in my diet was causing this, and the only thing new was the supplements. I was no better the next day and needed immediate relief – I had two weddings to attend, one that day and one the next. I wasn’t going to miss them. 


I took a chance that I could make it to the walk-in clinic 5-minutes from the house. After a bit of uncomfortable banter with another physician, as well as a detailed review of the ingredients on the bottles, I was informed that taken alone, none of the supplements was harmful. Combined, they created a mega-dose of magnesium with an explosive laxative effect. Some direction on appropriate over-the-counter remedies and I was patched up enough to attend both weddings. Unfortunately what I’m finding from October into December is the half life of magnesium must be 20 years or something like that. Unbelievable, because I never knew it was a radioactive substance. 


I’m going to get myself past the holidays, then re-engage the medical profession.  I’m zeroing in on someone who specializes in the care of “women of a certain age”. In the meantime, I resolve to count to 10, bite my tongue, keep my thoughts to myself, not go crazy, generally hold onto my opinion and try very hard to be easier to get along with. If I’m not, I’m absolutely giving those people that care permission to call me on it.

5 comments:

  1. Paula, 53, an interesting perspective. Patty, 50

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one more thought, kinda late at night (I was up at 5am), really what is normal? Let me know if you ever find it. Again, Patty, 50

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not 53, only 44 (going on 45), but I've been dealing with this since the grand ole age of 29. Eventually goes away? Bullshit. I'm not buying what they're selling. If you figure out the magical cure, let me know. Until then I find that a nice glass (or ten, depending on the state of anxiety and feelings of self-loserdom) of malbec does the trick...Krissy, less than a month from 45

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe hormones, but what effect do you think the stress of impending uncertainty is having on you? From what you've already written, I would guess that you've lived with the subconscious terror of time passing for quite some time, because eventually time would lead to ... now. And here it comes!

    Stress = insomnia? Moods? You bet.

    ~kelly
    45 and 3 days.


    (ps. The older I get, the less sleep I seem to need. But also, the more I observe symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in myself and loved ones, stemming from unresolved stressors. And if there's a Post in PTSD, there should also be a Chronic [CTSD, anyone?], which would produce the same symptoms.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay- I have been there and am on the tail end, I hope of this 'change of life'. First, we knew that you were sensitive to the night shade plants- tomatoes etc. Second- the sleepless nights are part of the body clock not functioning well. If you drink caffeine (read tea), stop- water is good, hot water with lemon actually is refreshing like tea. When do you exercise? late afternoon? after 5 pm? can you make it earlier? take a hot shower before you go to bed, might help. No hot flashes is not a bad thing- less laundry every day.
    You can't make your body stop changing at it's own speed without surgery and serious drugs. The good thing is that you still have enough estrogen in your body for elastic skin and comfortable sex, which some of us to not enjoy as much as we use to. so be happy with your lemons as much as you can be. Drink some calming mint tea in a warm bath while you think about the great sex life you still have.

    ReplyDelete