January 1, 2011

Dirt

Years ago while taking an anthropology of religion class I was introduced to a concept made famous by Mary Douglas. Douglas writes, in Purity and Danger (1966)*, "Dirt is matter out of place”. She interprets this to mean that things are not considered dirty (or unacceptable) in and of themselves, but because of where they fit in a system of categories. The boundaries, where things may or may not fit, are thought provoking and potentially dangerous places.
I mention this because I heard the phrase once, during a lecture, and it has just stuck with me (or too me). It fits my world view and explains so much about the way I approach life and events. From a very simplistic and Paula centered view, my system of categories allows for an orderly and defined way of managing the world – anything else is unacceptable and therefore “dirt”.

I have always tried to clean-house, literally and figuratively at the beginning of the New Year.  At work I use the days between the Christmas and New Years holidays to shovel out, clearing away all the files that have accumulated on my desk, in my cabinets and even on my computer. At home I use the month of January to close out the year and get the financial paperwork in order. Personally, I make commitments to physical challenges for the year, signing up for a round of runs, bike rides and triathlons. Mental health clean-up involves an examination of the prior year and serious thinking about what I can do differently for the next year. As a result, I try to start the New Year with a clear idea of where I want to go, who I want to join me on the journey and what I hope to accomplish overall.

Of course, life intrudes on the best laid plans and introduces more dirt. Sometimes I can remove it quickly from my physical or mental environment; other times I end up packing it in my life’s baggage, absorbing the extra weight and continuing on.  This past year I had more than a few opportunities for quick clean-up as well as the stowing of more dirt in the suitcases. On reflection I’m especially surprised by my reaction to the terminal illness of my brother. I got a tattoo, something at my boundary of acceptable, and my wonderful sister Krissy signed up to get the same tattoo in the same place at the same time. For me it was a moment of bonding over a sibling in distress.

I start the New Year with my system of categories adjusted by pivotal events of the past year. I’m curious to see how this will affect my reaction to what is acceptable or unacceptable. 2010 altered my categories to allow for more porous boundaries and I hope a braver Paula. OK, 2011 bring it on.

* In an effort to keep this blog from going too far down an academic rat hole “Google” the name and book title if you’d like more information.

Music that resonates:
Judy Garland/Wizard of Oz – Somewhere Over The Rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment